Shellers Honored 2017 “Heroes of Liberty”, National Liberty Museum
On October 7, 2017, Stephen and Sandra Sheller will be honored by the National Liberty Museum as their 2017 “Heroes of Liberty” at the Glass Auction & Gala. This event will support the NLM’s education and outreach programs, something the Sheller’s have both personally, and through their non-profit Sheller Family Foundation, has long supported. The Sheller Family Foundation is committed to improving the lives of Tri-State residents by addressing economic and social disparity. Examples of their philanthropy efforts include:
- In 2007 The Salvation Army honored Stephen and Sandy Sheller with the Others Award at the 128th Annual Luncheon, recognizing their extraordinary spirit of service to others.
- In 2009 The National Philanthropy Day Award
- In 2010 Stephen and Sandra Sheller sponsored the “Civilian in Peace/Soldier in War” exhibit honoring the National Guard as part of the NLM’s “Awards of Valor” gallery.
- In 2014 Temple University honored Stephen and Sandy Sheller with the Russell Conwell Award.
- In June 2016, The Free Library of Philadelphia opened up a new South Philadelphia Library with the “Stephen and Sandra Sheller Common.” Funded by the Sheller Family Foundation, this new “living room” area allows library customers to gather with their friends and participate in library programs.
- Current sponsors of the Young Heroes Program at Tanner Duckrey Elementary School, Stephen and Sandra Sheller has personally been involved, as well as through the Sheller Family Foundation, with a group of 4th graders’ community projects. These projects include anti-gun violence campaigns and a petition for a new school playground.
- As a mentor for Women of Tomorrow, Mentor & Scholarship Program, Sandra Sheller supports the organization’s mission to “inspire, motivate and empower at-risk young women to live up to their full potential through a unique mentoring program with highly accomplished professional women and scholarship opportunities.”